Dedicated US immigration attorney serving clients worldwide from Washington, DC

Request a Consultation
DC Fiance Visa Attorney2020-07-27T04:59:46-10:00


Please note that the attorney no longer accepts K-1 Fiancee Visa cases

We are dedicated to your K-1 fiance(e) visa success! Contact us today to schedule
a consultation with our DC fiance visa attorney.


dc fiance visa attorney

If you intend to marry your fiancé(e), you can bring him or her to the US for the wedding, with a K-1 visa. K1 visa is considered a non-immigrant visa. However, as soon as your fiance(e) enters the US and you get married, you fiance(e) can apply for a Green Card.

On average, it takes up to a year to receive a K1 fiance(e) visa. There are no annual numerical limits on K1 fiancee visas and the process consists of two steps. First step, I-129F fiancé(e) visa petition, takes about 6 months. Second step consists of receiving a fiance visa from a US consulate abroad, which takes anywhere between 2 to 5 months. To help you decide whether you qualify for a K1 fiance(e) visa, our DC fiance visa attorney is available for a phone consultation.

Key Facts about K-1 Fiance(e) Visa:

  • Only a US citizen can petition for their foreign fiance(e). A permanent resident (green card holder) is not able to petition for their fiance(e)
  • Once the foreign individual enters the US and marries their US citizen fiance(e), they are able to apply for a Green Card through a process called Adjustment of Status
  • Normally, if the couple does not get married, the foreign fiance(e) will be unable to change their status to any other visa and will have to leave US
  • Other unofficial words used for a fiance visa are K1 visa, marriage visa, spouse visa, marriage green card
  • If you got married abroad,  then you no longer qualify for a K-1 fiancee visa. However, a K-3 visa or consular processing are other options available to you

Possible Issues with a K-1 Fiance(e) Visa: The fiance visa petition requires a US petitioner to disclose to the USCIS any history of a violent crime, restraining orders, crime relating to alcohol, or controlled substance abuse. It is important to talk to your DC fiance visa attorney if there are any questions whether this section applies to you.

What is the Procedure for Applying for a K-1 Fiance(e) Visa?

  1. A U.S. citizen fiance(e) has to file a Fiance(e) Visa petition (form I-129F)

The object of the petition is to classify a foreign fiance(e) as the US citizen’s fiance(e). Further, the petition establishes that parties have an intent to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiance(e) entering the US, both parties can legally marry and have met in person in the last 2 years.

If the foreign fiance(e) has children that will be moving to the US at the same time, their information will need to be added to the I-129F form. The children do not need a separate form I-129F.

Please note, a US citizen petitioner must disclose criminal records. Form I-129F asks if a US citizen petitioner has a history of violent crime or crime relating to alcohol or controlled-substance abuse. If you are concerned about your criminal record or if you had a Temporary Restraining Order issued against you, please contact our DC fiance visa attorney to discuss potential issues that may affect your case.

  1. After the fiance(e) visa petition (I-129F) is approved, the next step is to apply for a K-1 fiance(e) visa at a consulate abroad

All applicants for a K-1 visa must fill out and submit a Form DS-160 online. Even though you did not have to file a separate I-129F petition for any children, you will need to file a separate DS-160 for each child that will be moving to the US with you. Children will get K-2 visas.

Usually, the consular post will send a letter listing the documents it needs to see to issue a K-1 visa as well as procedures for a medical exam and interview. Please note that each consular post has different procedures, so it is important to follow the procedures of the consular post where you will be conducting your interview.

When to Consult with our DC Fiance Visa Attorney?

Many clients are able to handle the application process on their own. However, if you have trouble dealing with paperwork or understanding the instructions, or have any complications in your case (such as a criminal record, past visa overstays, multiple fiancee visa filings, etc.), then you should consider talking to our DC Fiance Visa attorney. Contact our office to schedule your consultation with our DC fiance visa attorney to see how we may better assist you.

Do You Qualify for a K-1 Fiance Visa? The Requirements of a K-1 visa are:

  1. The petitioning US fiancé(e) must be a US citizen. Permanent residents/green card holders cannot petition for a foreign fiancé(e).
  2. Both persons have to be free to legally marry. This means that both persons are of legal age and are not married to other individuals.
  3. The foreign fiancé(e) is entering the US for the sole purpose of getting married to the petitioner and must marry within 90 days of entering the US.
  4. The couple must have met in person in the past two years. For some couples, this requirement can be waived due to practice of religion in which marriages are customarily arranged by families and premarital meetings are prohibited. Also, it is possible to get a waiver of a personal meeting requirement if such meeting would cause an extreme hardship to the US citizen fiancé(e).

What if a foreign fiance(e) has children, can they come too?

Yes, if your child is unmarried and under the age of 21. Your child can receive a K-2 visa, accompany you to the US and apply for a Green Card once you get married.

A general list of documents that a foreign fiance(e) can expect to submit for a K-1 visa:

US fiance(e) birth certificate or valid US passport, foreign fiancee’s valid passport and birth certificate, proof that any previous marriages were legally terminated, original police clearance certificate, passport-style photos, results of your medical exam as well as any documents proving your relationship, such as photos, bills, communications, etc.

Attending the Fiance Visa Interview:

The interview process involves verification of your application’s accuracy and an inspection of your documents.

After the medical exam, you and your accompanying children will report to the consulate for the interview. You should bring the documents indicated in your interview letter and anything else the consulate requested.

Traveling to the U.S.:

Once you receive your K-1 fiance(e) visa, you will need to enter the US during the visa validity period, which is normally 6 months. Upon entering the US, you will need to get married within 90 days.

Once you are married, you and your children can apply for green cards through a process called Adjustment of Status. Merely marrying your US fiance(e) does not automatically give you a green card. You are welcome to consult with our DC fiance visa attorney to discuss how to better prepare your fiancee visa application or how we may assist you with your K1 fiancee visa matter.

DC fiance visa attorney is dedicated to serving family immigration clients, including:

  • K-1 fiancee visas
  • K-2 visas for the children of K-1 fiancee
  • K-3 marriage visas
  • K-4 visa for the children of K-3 fiancee
  • Adjustment of status (green card application in the US)
  • Consular processing (green card application abroad)




The Law Offices of Victoria V. Kuzmina provide US Immigration services to clients in 50 states and worldwide. If you need help or have questions about a fiancee visa matter, please contact us by phone or email to set up a consultation with our Washington, DC fiance visa attorney.

Request a Consultation


Law Offices of Victoria V. Kuzmina
1325 G Street Northwest, Ste 500
Washington, DC 20005